Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1872 in Houston, Texas. The church was established under the leadership of Reverend Samuel Grantham, known as Father Grantham. The fragile structure, called a “brush arbor”, that housed the first membership was located on Valentine Street, formerly known as Sherman Road in the Freedman’s Town area in Fourth Ward. The church eventually moved to a larger facility on the corner of Wilson and Saulnier Streets. Father Grantham passed away in 1891.
Reverend Charles H. Hunt became the second pastor in 1893. Under his leadership, the Sunday School, BYPU and church choir developed. The church experienced continued progress under Reverend Hunt’s pastorate until his death in 1921.
The third pastor, Reverend Henry C. Cashaw, was elected in 1922. During his pastorate, the church building was badly damaged by fire and had to temporarily worship at the nearby Gregory School building. In 1933, Reverend Cashaw led the congregation into the first modern structure of Good Hope. He remained an outstanding preacher and leader until his death in 1934.
Reverend Albert A. Lucas became the fourth pastor in 1935. He was a dynamic, spirit-filled preacher, teacher, national leader and Civil Rights Activist. In 1939, he led the congregation into a new sanctuary, which was erected adjacent to the existing structure. Through his work with the NAACP, the church was brought to the forefront of the political battle in 1944 with the “Smith vs. Allwright” case. Voting rights in the primary election for minorities in Texas were secured due to his efforts. Reverend Lucas’ pastorate ended with his death in the pulpit in 1963.