Where we are from
Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1872 in Houston, Texas. The church was established under the leadership of Reverend Samuel Grantham, known as Father Grantham. The fragile structure, called a “brush arbor”, that housed the first membership was located on Valentine Street, formerly known as Sherman Road in the Freedman’s Town area in Fourth Ward. The church eventually moved to a larger facility on the corner of Wilson and Saulnier Streets. Father Grantham passed away in 1891.
Reverend Charles H. Hunt became the second pastor in 1893. Under his leadership, the Sunday School, BYPU and church choir developed. The church experienced continued progress under Reverend Hunt’s pastorate until his death in 1921.
The third pastor, Reverend Henry C. Cashaw, was elected in 1922. During his pastorate, the church building was badly damaged by fire and had to temporarily worship at the nearby Gregory School building. In 1933, Reverend Cashaw led the congregation into the first modern structure of Good Hope. He remained an outstanding preacher and leader until his death in 1934.
Reverend Albert A. Lucas became the fourth pastor in 1935. He was a dynamic, spirit-filled preacher, teacher, national leader and Civil Rights Activist. In 1939, he led the congregation into a new sanctuary, which was erected adjacent to the existing structure. Through his work with the NAACP, the church was brought to the forefront of the political battle in 1944 with the “Smith vs. Allwright” case. Voting rights in the primary election for minorities in Texas were secured due to his efforts. Reverend Lucas’ pastorate ended with his death in the pulpit in 1963.
Where We Started
Reverend Crawford W. Kimble was elected the fifth pastor in 1964. It was Reverend Kimble’s dream to build a new church in a central location to better serve the needs of the membership. Through perseverance and inspired leadership, the “dream” was fulfilled as the church moved to its current location on March 22, 1981. Reverend Kimble ended his pastorate in January 1994 as the only pastor to retire from Good Hope.
Dr. D. Z. Cofield became the sixth pastor elected by the church on March 28, 1994. He is a native of Brooklyn, New York, having a Bachelor of Arts in Religion from Swarthmore College, a Master of Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary and a Doctorate of Ministry from Faith Evangelical Lutheran Seminary. Dr. Cofield is the founder and Chairman of the Board of Hope for Families, Inc., a non-profit organization designed to impact the needs of the community. Under his administration, the Center for Hope Community Life Facility began activities September 2005, including the Barbara Jordan Child Development Center, along with many other helpful and innovative programs for spiritual growth and life enrichment.
Where We Are Going
Since that time, Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church has continued to expand its ministries and campus. The congregation entered the 2007 year with a new church marquee and was granted a Texas Historical Marker from the State of Texas Historical Commission. In the following year, major renovations of the current sanctuary were completed. In 2009, the church experienced exponential growth when two of Dr. Cofield’s visions became a reality. Hope Academy Charter School opened in the Center for Hope to provide a quality education for high school students, and the church purchased more than 5 acres of land, known as the Promised Land. Early 2011, the Fitness Center located in the Center for Hope was outfitted with the state-of-the-art exercise equipment. Later that year, the Texas Education Agency awarded a state charter for the operation of Global Learning Village, a K-12 charter school with emphasis on global languages, which opened in the fall of 2012.
Dr. D. Z. Cofield is especially thankful for his latest vision coming into fruition with Word of Hope Ministries, Inc. – a preaching and teaching television ministry designed to inform, equip and inspire you to fulfill your greatest God-given potential. Dr. Cofield continues to receive awards and accolades for his community service as he facilitates the goal of the church to “Take Hope to the World”.