Philippians 1:21-26; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
August 23, 2020
1 Chronicles 16:7-12 (ESV) – Then on that day David first appointed that thanksgiving be sung to the Lord by Asaph and his brothers. 8 Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! 9 Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works! 10 Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! 11 Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! 12 Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles and the judgments he uttered,
HAVING A Godly PERSPECTIVE To Have A JOY-FILLED Life, Pt. 2
1. You need to FOCUS on having a godly perspective of LIFE and DEATH (v.21-23)
Philippians 1:21-23 (ESV) – For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
A. You need to realize what it means to live FOR Jesus Christ.
1. You need to present your body as a living sacrifice to Jesus Christ.
Romans 12:1 (ESV) – I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
2. You need to control your mind and focus your thoughts on Jesus.
2 Corinthians 10:5 (ESV) – We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
3. You need to live every moment to reach and minister to as many people as possible.
John 20:21 (ESV) – Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.”
Matthew 20:26-28 (ESV) – It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
B. You need to realize what it means to die WITH Jesus Christ.
Here’s a valuable test for your life. Fill in the blanks yourself.
“For to me to live is__________ and to die is____________”
Philippians 1:22-23 (ESV) – If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
2 Corinthians 5:8 (ESV) – Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
1 Corinthians 15:53 (ESV) – For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
John 5:24 (ESV) – Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
Romans 14:8 (ESV) – For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.
2. You need to FOCUS on HELPING people GROW in giving glory to GOD.
Philippians 1:24-26 (ESV) – But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have
ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.
A. Help people make PROGRESS in the faith.
B. Help people experience JOY in the faith.
Romans 14:19 (ESV) – So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.
LIFE Group Questions
1. In general do you think people are afraid of dying? Explain
2. Why do you think so many people are afraid of dying?
3. How much does a person’s perspective on life and death affect how they live their life?
4. Who do you know who needs to change their perspective about life and death? Explain
5. How have the deaths in the last several months, including those related to COVID-19, affected your view of life and death?
6. What’s the difference between view of most people and God’s perspective on life and death?
7. Has this message helped you reexamine your perspective about dying? Explain
8. What do you need to do to develop a more godly perspective regarding your life and death?
9. How can you help other people make progress in and increase the joy in their faith?
10. How will having a more godly perspective about life and death help you have a better walk with God?