BATTLEGROUND for BELIEVERS
Philippians 1:27-30; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
August 30, 2020
1. You must HONOR God in your daily LIVING (Phil. 1:27a)
Philippians 1:27a (NLT2) – Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ.…
Ephesians 4:1-2 (ESV) – I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
Colossians 1:10 (ESV) – so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
2 Corinthians 3:2-3 (NLT2) – The only letter of recommendation we need is you yourselves. Your lives are a letter written in our hearts; everyone can read it and recognize our good work among you. 3 Clearly, you are a letter from Christ showing the result of our ministry among you. This “letter” is written not with pen and ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. It is carved not on tablets of stone, but on human hearts.
2. You must FIGHT for the FAITH.
Philippians 1:27b-28a (NLT2) – … Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing side by side, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News. 28 Don’t be intimidated in any way by your enemies. …
A. You must FIGHT, side by side, with other BELIEVERS.
Standing side by side –
Fighting Together (Striving by side) –
B. You must FIGHT against your REAL enemies.
1 Peter 5:8 (ESV) – Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Enemies WITHIN –
Enemies WITHOUT –
2 Corinthians 10:4 (ESV) – For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
Ephesians 6:10-12 (ESV) – Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6:17-18 (ESV) – and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Hebrews 4:12 (ESV) – For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
L.I.F.E. Group Questions
1. Who’s a great fighter you’ve heard of? What makes them great?
2. As a Christian are you more likely, or unlikely, to fight? Explain.
3. As a believer why’s it important to be willing to fight for your joy?
4. How would you like the reputation of being a fearless Christian? Explain
5. How important is it to know you are not in this spiritual battle alone? Explain
6. What do you need to do to identify and fight the enemies within you?
7. What do you need to do to identify and fight the enemies around you?
8. How important is it to know that the physical manifestation of enemy activity in your life is rooted in the spiritual world?
9. What do you need to do to better battle the spiritual attacks the enemy sends against you?
10. What’s the toughest thing you’ve had to fight through as a Christian?
11. What about your life-style do you most need to change in order to become a fighter for your joy?
12. What can you do today to encourage someone who is struggling in their fight to become all God wants them to be?