____________-_ __________: The Who _____________, Pt. 1
Genesis 22:1ff; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
August 18, 2019
1. You need to realize there are times The LORD will
Genesis 22:1 (NLT2) – Some time later, God tested Abraham’s faith. “Abraham!” God called. “Yes,” he replied. “Here I am.”
Two reasons for a test:
A. To ascertain the of your own _____________.
B. To ascertain what you need to
about The LORD.
James 1:12 (ESV) – Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
Revelation 2:10 (ESV) – Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.
2. Your absolute to The LORD is dependent upon your willingness to make the ultimate
to The LORD.
Genesis 22:2 (NLT2) – “Take your son, your only son—yes,
Isaac, whom you love so much—and go to the land of Moriah. Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will show you.”
Moriah – Phonetic Pronunciation: mo-ree-yaw’ –
Mark 12:28-30 (ESV) – And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
Matthew 10:37 (ESV) – Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
1 John 2:4-5 (NLT2) – If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 5 But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him.
Romans 12:1 (NLT2) – And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
Questions to Consider
1. What subject did you most hate taking tests in? Why?
2. What made you to do well when taking certain tests?
3. How did God test Abraham?
4. What circumstances or events have tested your faith?
5. In what ways do you respond to the testing of your faith?
6. When and how has God tested your faith?
7. What has God asked you to sacrifice for Him?
8. What is the most difficult person, place or thing for you to sacrifice to God?
9. In what area of your life will you ask God to give you the strength to be obedient?
10. With what command of God will you ask Him to help you this week?