– __________: The _ God
Genesis 17:1ff; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
August 4, 2019
1. You can know in a way no matter how
you’ve known God. (v. 1)
Genesis 17:1 (NLT) – When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life.
God Almighty –
Jeremiah 32:17 (NLT) – “O Sovereign LORD! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!
Revelation 19:6 (NLT) – Then I heard again what sounded like the shout of a vast crowd or the roar of mighty ocean waves or the crash of loud thunder: “Praise the LORD! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.
Job 42:1-2 (NLT) – Then Job replied to the LORD: 2 “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you.
2. You must to God and in a way that brings God ___________. (v. 1)
Genesis 17:1 (KJV) – And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
A. You must God _____________.
Colossians 2:6 (ESV) – Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,
1 John 2:4-6 (ESV) – Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
B. You are to _________ an ____________ life.
1 Peter 1:14-16 (ESV) – As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
Colossians 4:12 (NLT) – Epaphras, a member of your own fellowship and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings. He always prays earnestly for you, asking God to make you strong and perfect, fully confident that you are following the whole will of God.
3. You need to realize living to God’s ___________ will position you to receive special ________________ from _________ (vv.2-8, 15-21)
Genesis 17:2-8 (NLT) – I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.” 3 At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, 4 “This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations! 5 What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham, for you will be the father of many nations. 6 I will make you extremely fruitful. Your descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them! 7 “I will confirm my covenant with you and your descendants after you, from generation to generation. This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 And I will give the entire land of Canaan, where you now live as a foreigner, to you and your descendants. It will be their possession forever, and I will be their God.”
Genesis 17:15-21 (NLT2) – Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah. 16 And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.” 17 Then Abraham bowed down to the ground, but he laughed to himself in disbelief. “How could I become a father at the age of 100?” he thought. “And how can Sarah have a baby when she is ninety years old?” 18 So Abraham said to God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!” 19 But God replied, “No—Sarah, your wife, will give birth to a son for you. You will name him Isaac, and I will confirm my covenant with him and his descendants as an everlasting covenant. 20 As for Ishmael, I will bless him also, just as you have asked. I will make him extremely fruitful and multiply his descendants. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But my covenant will be confirmed with Isaac, who will be born to you and Sarah about this time next year.”
Galatians 3:7-9 (NLT) – The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God. 8 What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.
Romans 4:20-21 (NLT) – Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. 21 He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.
Genesis 48:3 (NLT2) – Jacob said to Joseph, “God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me.
Genesis 43:14 (NLT) – “May God Almighty give you mercy as you go before the man, so that he will release Simeon and let Benjamin return. But if I must lose my children, so be it.”
Genesis 49:25 (NLT) – May the God of your father help you; May the Almighty bless you with the blessings of the heavens above, and blessings of the watery depths below, and blessings of the breasts and womb.
Psalm 91:1-2 (NLT) – Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.
Revelation 4:8 (NKJV) – The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!”
Revelation 11:16-17 (NKJV) – And the twenty-four elders who sat before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17 saying: “We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is and who was and who is to come, Because You have taken Your great power and reigned.
Questions to Consider
1. Other than aging or growing physically, how have you changed over the years as a person? Give two examples of how you have changed.
2. Have you ever learned something new about someone you’ve known for a long time? Explain
3. Have you ever learned something new about God you didn’t know before? Explain when and how that happened.
4. Why’s it important to continue to listen to God, especially when God is moving slower than you think He should?
5. Why is it important to live in a way that brings God glory no matter what?
6. What’s getting in the way of you receiving God’s special blessings in your life?
7. What makes people blame God and others for the problems they experience in life?
8. What should be the basis of your relationship with God?
9. Why is it sometimes hard to trust God?
10. When have you been tempted to take ungodly steps to achieve a godly goal?
11. What has caused you to doubt God more than anything else?
12. What should you do when you realize you have missed an opportunity given to you by God? Explain
13. What has caused you to doubt God more than anything else?
14. Why is it sometimes difficult to trust God and His timing in your life?
15. In what area of your life do you need to ask God to help you trust Him more?