Living A Joy-Filled Life In A Trouble-Filled World
Philippians 1:3-6; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
July 5, 2020
1 John 1:3-7 (ESV) – that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. 5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
The FOCUS For A JOY-FILLED Life, Pt. 1
1. To live a joyful life you must PRAY with a focus on the PERSON of God and OTHERS. (vv.3-4)
Philippians 1:3-4 (ESV) – I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, . . .
A. JOY IS DIVINE!
John 15:11 (ESV) – These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
B. JOY IS INDEPENDENT OF CIRCUMSTANCES. 2 Corinthians 7:4 (ESV) – I am acting with great boldness toward you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with comfort. In all our affliction, I am overflowing with joy.
C. JOY IS ROOTED IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP AND FAITH IN GOD.
Romans 15:13 (ESV) – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
The FOCUS For A JOY-FILLED Life, Pt. 2
1. To live a joyful life you must FOCUS on the PROGRAM and PROVISION of God. (v.5)
Philippians 1:4-5 (ESV) – always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.
Partnership – koinonia –
Philippians 1:5 (AMP) – [I thank my God] for your fellowship (your sympathetic cooperation and contributions and partnership) in advancing the good news (the Gospel) from the first day [you heard it] until now.
A. The FOUNDATION OF OUR FELLOWSHIP IS OUR MUTUAL BELIEF IN THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, THE GREAT
SALVATION OF GOD.
B. The FURTHERANCE OF OUR FELLOWSHIP IS IN THE SPREADING OF THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
Philippians 4:14-20 (ESV) – Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Romans 1:11-12 (ESV) – For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— 12 that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine.
Jude 1:24-25 (ESV) – Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
1 Thessalonians 1:2-3 (ESV) – We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, 3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
LIFE Group Questions
1. Have you ever looked at something out of focus?
2. When you looked at something in focus that was previously out of focus, what were some of the things you noticed?
3. How important was it for the Church of Philippi to partner with Paul in the spreading of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Explain.
4. Why is fellowship important to the body of Christ?
5. How important is fellowship in your life as a believer? Explain
6. What is the relationship between joy and focusing on the program of God?
7. What is the relationship between the program of God and the fight for justice in the world today?
8. What aspect of God’s program are you participating in?
9. Does knowing God will supply for all your needs when you support ministry affect how you will approach giving in the future? Explain
10. What will you do this week to make God’s program for the world and your life your personal priority?