BEING A BELIEVER EVERYDAY
Rom 12:6-8; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th. M., D. Min.
June 13, 2021
Psalm 146:1-10 (ESV) – Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul! 2 I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. 3 Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. 4 When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish. 5 Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, 6 who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever; 7 who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets the prisoners free; 8 the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous. 9 The LORD watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin. 10 The LORD will reign forever, your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the LORD!
1. You must recognize GOD has given you GIFTS by GRACE.
Romans 12:6a (ESV) – Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, …
2. You must USE the GIFTS God has given you.
Romans 12:6b-8 (ESV) – Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our
faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
A. The gift of PROPHECY
1 Corinthians 14:3 (NLT2) – But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.
B. The gift of MINISTRY
Galatians 6:10 (NLT2) – Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
C. The gift of TEACHING
Matthew 28:20 (NLT2) – Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
D. The gift of EXHORTATION
Titus 1:9 (NLT2) – He must have a strong belief in the trustworthy message he was taught; then he will be able to encourage others with wholesome teaching and show those who oppose it where they are wrong.
E. The gift of GIVING
2 Corinthians 9:7 (NLT2) – You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”
F. There is the gift of RULING
1 Peter 5:2-3 (NLT2) – Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly — not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 3 Don’t lord it
over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.
G. There is the gift of MERCY
Micah 6:8 (NLT2) – No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
3. You need to RECOGNIZE and CELEBRATE the GIFTS God has given to OTHERS.
Romans 12:6-8 (ESV) – Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
1 Corinthians 12:29-31 (ESV) – Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.
1 Corinthians 12:7 (NLT2) – A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.
L.I.F.E. Group Questions
1. What skills or qualities are necessary to play a team sport well?
2. How important are the role players (non-stars) to a team’s success?
3. What is an ingredient in a recipe that you don’t need much of but it has a big impact on the dish? Give an example.
4. How important is it to know you’ve been given a spiritual gift by the grace of God?
5. What is your spiritual gift(s)?
6. How should you use your spiritual gift?
7. What is the biggest challenge that keeps you from using your spiritual gift?
8. What helps and encourages you to use your spiritual gift?
9. How important is it for you to recognize and celebrate the gifts God has given to others? Explain
10. What is an important spiritual gift that might not be highly visible or seem important in the body of Christ?
11. How can you encourage someone to use their spiritual gift to the glory of God?
12. How can you put your spiritual gift to work this week?