1 Peter 5:5-7; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
March 14, 2021
Psalm 24:1-6 (ESV) – The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein, 2 for he has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers. 3 Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place? 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully. 5 He will receive blessing from the LORD and righteousness from the God of his salvation. 6 Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah
BEING Your BEST In BAD Times, Pt. 2
1. You need to realize PRACTICING humility POSITIONS you to be BLESSED by God.
1 Peter 5:5-6 (ESV) – Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,
A. Realize God OPPOSES you when you are in your PRIDE.
Oppose – The word “oppose” (antitassetai PWS: 3266) is a strong word. It is the picture of an army being set and arrayed against the enemy.
Proud – from <G5228> (huper) and <G5316> (phaino); appearing, thinking and acting as if you’re above others (conspicuous), i.e. (figurative) haughty :- proud.
B. Realize God BLESSES you with GRACE when you are HUMBLE.
1 Peter 5:5 (ESV) – Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
Grace – grace means the unmerited favor, extraordinary goodness and undeserved blessings of God.
Colossians 3:12 (ESV) – Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,
BEING Your BEST In BAD Times, Pt. 3
1. You need to realize when you HUMBLE yourself to God He will EXALT you at the proper TIME.
1 Peter 5:6 (ESV) – Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,
Galatians 6:9 (ESV) – And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Matthew 23:12 (ESV) – Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
James 4:10 (ESV) – Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
2. You need to realize your HUMILITY to GOD will be evidenced in how you PRAY as opposed to WORRY.
1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV) – Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Anxieties (KJV – Cares) –
Psalm 40:17 (ESV) – As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God!
Psalm 55:22 (ESV) – Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
Hebrews 13:5-6 (ESV) – Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
Isaiah 41:13 (ESV) – For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”
Questions to Consider
1. What are some things that humble people?
2. In your past or present, who or what can get you to humble yourself when you get besides yourself?
3. How difficult is it to humble yourself to God? Explain
4. How important is it to know God will exalt you when you humble yourself to Him?
5. What’s the relationship between you worrying and your humility toward God? Explain
6. What’s the relationship between you praying and your humility toward God? Explain
7. Does knowing God cares about you make it easier or more difficult to practice humility?
8. How does knowing God cares about you affect your prayer life? Explain
9. What anxieties, cares and worries do you need to give to God?
10. This week what are some specific ways you can give your anxieties, cares and worries to the Lord?