Colossians 3:13; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
March 5, 2023
Colossians 3:12 (NLT2) – Since God chose you to be the holy people he
loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness,
humility, gentleness, and patience.
Colossians 3:13 (NLT2) – Make allowance for each other’s faults, and
forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you
must forgive others.
1. You are commanded to forgive others because YOU have
already been FORGIVEN by GOD.
Ephesians 4:32 (ESV) – Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving
one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
2, You are commanded to forgive others because FORGIVING
people makes you more like GOD.
Luke 6:35-36 (ESV) – But love your enemies, and do good, and lend,
expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be
sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be
merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
3. You are commanded to forgive others so your FELLOWSHIP
with God can be RIGHT.
Mark 11:25 (ESV) – And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have
anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may
forgive you your trespasses.”
4. You are commanded to forgive others so that when you need to
be FORGIVEN by someone else you are better positioned to get what
you need from THEM.
Luke 6:37-38 (ESV) – “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn
not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38
give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken
together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you
use it will be measured back to you.”
5. You are expected to forgive others because The LORD said SO.
Luke 17:3-4 (ESV) – Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins,
rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, 4 and if he sins against you
seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you
must forgive him.”
A. THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING FORGIVEN
B. THE EXAMPLE OF HOW TO FORGIVE
C. THE ENABLEMENT TO FORGIVE
L.I.F.E. Group Questions
1. What’s an example of someone being given an “impossible” task that
they were able to accomplish?
2. When was the last time you were asked by someone to do something
that was very difficult? Explain
3. Why do you think you’re challenged, as a Christ-follower, to forgive
4. What role does forgiving others play in showing the love of God to
5. How does knowing you’ve been forgiven by God help you to forgive
6. What role does prayer play in helping you forgive others? Explain
7. What role do you need to allow the Holy Spirit to play in helping you
forgive others? Explain
8. How does forgiving others testify to the goodness of God and bring
glory to Him?
9. How does knowing your walk with God is dependent upon you
forgiving others help you to forgive others?
10. WHO DO YOU NEED TO FORGIVE THAT YOU STILL HAVEN’T
FORGIVEN? WHAT’S STOPPING YOU?