The ____________ In Your ___________, Pt. 3
Psalm 46:8-11; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
May 3, 2020
The POWER In Your PAUSE, Pt. 1
1. You need to PAUSE and realize God is your REFUGE and STRENGTH. (vv.
Psalm 46:1-3 (ESV) – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved
into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble
at its swelling. Selah
The POWER In Your PAUSE, Pt. 2
1. You need to PAUSE and realize GOD is your source of JOY and your
FORTRESS. (vv. 4-7)
Psalm 46:4-7 (ESV) – There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy
habitation of the Most High. 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will
help her when morning dawns. 6 The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his
voice, the earth melts. 7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
The __________ In Your ____________, Pt. 3
1. You need to __________ and recognize the _________ of God so you can
better know His __________ and give Him the ___________ He deserves. (vv. 8-11)
Psalm 46:8-11 (ESV) – Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has brought
desolations on the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the
bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. 10 “Be still, and know that I
am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” 11 The LORD
of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
“Be still” literally means “____________!”
I am God –
2 Kings 19:19 (ESV) – So now, O LORD our God, save us, please, from his hand, that
all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O LORD, are God alone.”
Exodus 14:13-14 (NCV) – But Moses answered, “Don’t be afraid! Stand still and you will
see the LORD save you today. You will never see these Egyptians again after today.
14 You only need to remain calm; the LORD will fight for you.“
Psalm 3:1-4 (ESV) – O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;
2 many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. Selah 3 But you, O
LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. 4 I cried aloud to the
LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
Psalm 24:10 (ESV) – Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of
Questions to Consider
1. What comes to mind when you think of a fortress?
2. What makes you feel safe and secure?
3. What makes it so scary to experience a natural disaster such as a tornado,
hurricane, pandemic or earthquake?
4. How are the promises in this psalm meaningful to you?
5. What kinds of threats do you face today?
6. How has God been like a fortress to you?
7. What does this psalm teach you about God’s power over the nations and
governments of the earth?
8. How does “God being a very present help” help you handle your fears?
9. What does it mean to be still, and know that God is God?
10. How can you practice being still before the Lord?
11. How can you feel the Lord’s presence in your life?
12. What is one way you can remind yourself of God’s presence with you each day?