DOING IT GOD’S WAY
2 Samuel 6:16, 20-23; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
November 22, 2020
Psalm 136:1-9 (NKJV) – Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. 2 Oh, give thanks to the God of gods! For His mercy endures forever. 3 Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords! For His mercy endures forever: 4 To Him who alone does great wonders, For His mercy endures forever; 5 To Him who by wisdom made the heavens, For His mercy endures forever; 6 To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever; 7 To Him who made great lights, For His mercy endures forever– 8 The sun to rule by day, For His mercy endures forever; 9 The moon and stars to rule by night, For His mercy endures forever.
1. Realize THE LORD is BLESSING you right NOW (2 Sam. 6:16-17)
2 Samuel 6:16-17 (NLT) – But as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she was filled with contempt for him.  The Ark of the Lord was placed inside the special tent that David had prepared for it. And David sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings to the Lord.
2. Remember THE LORD has BLESSED you in your PAST (2 Sam. 6:16, 20—21)
2 Samuel 6:16, 20-21 (NLT) – But as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she was filled with contempt for him. . . . . When David returned home to bless his family, Michal came out to meet him and said in disgust, “How glorious the king of Israel looked today! He exposed himself to the servant girls like any indecent
person might do!”  David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the Lord, who chose me above your father and his family! He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the Lord. So I am willing to act like a fool in order to show my joy in the Lord.
Psalm 124:1-5 (ESV) – If it had not been the LORD who was on our side— let Israel now say— 2 if it had not been the LORD who was on our side when people rose up against us, 3 then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us; 4 then the flood would have swept us away, the torrent would have gone over us; 5 then over us would have gone the raging waters.
L.I.F.E. Group Questions
1. What Christian worship practices or styles of worship embarrass you or make you the most uncomfortable?
2. Is your corporate, public worship at church affected by what other people think of how you’re acting?
3. How did you learn (I.e. who taught you) how to worship The LORD?
4. What is the relationship between you being blessed by The LORD and your praise to The LORD?
5. What are some things that might keep you from recognizing The LORD is blessing you right now?
6. Is it important to praise The LORD all along your journey, or just after a goal is reached or something great is accomplished? Explain
7. Do you think how you worship The Lord publicly is an appropriate response to God’s goodness in your life?
8. How can reflecting on God’s goodness in your life help you respond to negativity in a way that glorifies God?
9. What is an appropriate response towards someone who finds your lifestyle of worship “undignified”?
10. How will you express your wholehearted joy to The LORD this week?