SERIES: BEING A GREAT PERSON FOR A GREAT GOD
Acts 3:1-11; Selected Scriptures
D.Z. Cofield, Th.M., D. Min.
October 2, 2022
Responsive Reading: 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 (ESV)
Leader: For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are
being saved it is the power of God.
Congregation: For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the
discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
Leader: Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of
this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
Congregation: For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through
wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
Leader: For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
Congregation: but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to
Leader: but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God
and the wisdom of God.
Congregation: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God
is stronger than men.
Leader: For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to
worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
Congregation: But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God
chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
Leader: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to
bring to nothing things that are,
Congregation: so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
Leader: And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from
God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
Together: so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
How To MINISTER To Make A DIFFERENCE, Pt. 1
1. You need to realize to be used by The LORD you must make PRAYER your
2. You need to realize The LORD wants to WORK through YOU to CHANGE
How To MINISTER To Make A DIFFERENCE, Pt. 2
1. You must believe a person’s LIFE will be better with JESUS than without
Acts 3:4-6 (ESV) – And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, “Look at
us.” 5 And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them.
6 But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the
name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!”
Matthew 28:18 (KJV) – And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is
given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Philippians 2:9-11 (NKJV) – Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him
the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should
bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and
that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
2. You must make a COMMITMENT to let people WALK with YOU after you
help them walk with Jesus.
Acts 3:6-11 (ESV) – But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give
to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” 7 And he took him
by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made
strong. 8 And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with
them, walking and leaping and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and
praising God, 10 and recognized him as the one who sat at the Beautiful Gate of the
temple, asking for alms. And they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had
happened to him. 11 While he clung to Peter and John, all the people, utterly
astounded, ran together to them in the portico called Solomon’s.
James 2:14-18 (ESV) – What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but
does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed
and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and
filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also
faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have
faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you
my faith by my works.
Psalm 66:16 (ESV) – Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has
done for my soul.
4 ESSENTIALS IN MINISTRY TO HELP SOMEONE WALK WITH JESUS
A. BENEVOLENCE –
B. EMPOWERMENT –
C. EQUIPPING –
D. ADVOCACY –
1. Do you ever remember a time when you needed something (mental, physical,
spiritual) and couldn’t provide it for yourself? Explain
2. Who helped you and what did they do?
3. Do you believe helping someone to know JESUS can CHANGE their life for the
4. How has you knowing JESUS helped CHANGE your life for the better? Explain
5. Who helped you the most when you came to faith in Jesus?
6. What specific attitudes toward the weak and needy need to change within you
before God can effectively use you to help others?
7. What does it take to make you more sensitive to the needs of those who are
8. In addition to providing financial aid, what can you do to help those who are poor
9. How can you and our congregation be more helpful to people with needs?
10. What do you have to personally offer to others who are in need?
11. When have you witnessed God’s miraculous healing power at work in your life?
12. How do you need to change so that God can work through you in a powerful
13. How can you be prepared to help a person in need this week?
14. What crippled area of your own life needs Jesus’ healing touch?
15. What do you need to do this week to let people walk with you after they’ve come
to know Jesus?